Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Color of Flounder

Winter Flounder on Different Backgrounds
 I had found this picture awhile ago and just now ran across it again. I believe this is a winter flounder (Pseudopleuronectes americanus), which I have spent a lot of time trying to catch. The image seems  to come form the collection of the Field Museum in Chicago, but I was not able to find it on their site.
The interesting part to me is the fact that the flounder only seems to be able to match the color that it's head is resting on, but the close match to the checkerboard is just amazing!


2 comments:

  1. Do they have any idea why they seem to only be able to mimic their head portion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not able to find any research that was really about the flounder. My guess is that that is the part it can see. It would interesting to find out what color it would be if it was to "see" a different color than what it was sitting on.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.