I thought this was an interesting little article. It is basically talking about how we are keeping our kids too protected from bacteria and other similar things. As a result, it is increasing the rate of allergies and autoimmune diseases. So all those years of moms fussing about their children being dirty was for nothing. Lol! =) They are still trying to figure out when is the best time to start exposing young children to bacteria. If you do it at too young of an age, then their immune system will be too weak.
http://the-scientist.com/2012/03/22/let-them-eat-dirt/
I thought this was very interesting. I know after taking some of my biology courses I definitely take more precautions to keep from getting sick. I always notice how kids can touch and put everything in their mouths and can only imagine how protective I would be as a parent. Recently I watched a tv show about parents who were overly sheltering their kids trying to keep them from getting sick due to fear of possible medical expenses. I think this is very important information for parents and future parents.
ReplyDeleteI read this article too. I have always beleived this was true. I was raised in the country and never really cared about germs so I always drank water from the creek (my parents would probably die if they knew)and ate food off the ground all the time. But, I haven't been sick since kindergarden. My whole family would get colds and the flu and I was never affected. I think that my unsanitary actions helped build up my immune system!
ReplyDeleteI thought this article was interesting as well and although the idea may seem like a good one it has risks. One may ingest microbes that may help our body system but, one can also ingest an intestinal parasite that could cause severe complications.
ReplyDelete