Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Thoughts Visualized in Brains of Zebrafish Looking for Dinner

Okay, so this is definitely intended to play off Dr. E's love of Zebrafish, but nevertheless, I think you will find it interesting. Basically, Japanese scientists from the National Institute of Genetics were able to create a visuotopic map in real time in a natural condition using the Zebrafish response to a "tasty paramecium". Make sure to watch the video because you can actually see the fish thinking.. Pretty cool!

http://www.medgadget.com/2013/02/thoughts-detected-in-brains-of-zebrafish-looking-for-dinner.html


3 comments:

  1. The link takes you to Microsoft Outlook Live sign in page...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry.. The link worked for me, but try it now. Hopefully it works for you..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that is really cool, Annie! I really do not know what to interpret those signalings within the images of the brain on that video. Actually, I think it would be neat if they would indicate in the video when the paramecium comes into the fish's view. So, I guess they used a fish with already transfected GFP at zygote state? The top left corner of the image shows they made a crossing of one with GFP genotype and another with Gal4...it seems... I don't know, but it would interesting to see how they planned and conducted that experiment.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.