Saturday, March 2, 2013

National Geographic: DNA and twins

I read this article when it first came out in National Geographic, and I thought it was really interesting.  It is an article on twins and nature vs nurture.  There are stories of separation and how the twins were reunited.  It is scary how you can be away from a twin but still act the same.  Give it a read.  It is very interesting.


http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2012/01/twins/miller-text

2 comments:

  1. http://psych.colorado.edu/~carey/hgss/hgssapplets/heritability/heritability.intro.html

    Very interesting article. One thing that really caught my eye was the fact that heritability studies have a unique statistical method, so I researched it further to be sure I understand it completely. Above is a link to a page on the CU-Boulder Psychology and Neuroscience page explaining heritability as a statistical concept. There are even examples and exercises if anyone is looking for something to do over the spring break ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jen, I was hoping I'd have stat problems to do over break! Thanks! ;)

    My dad receives National Geographic, and I've actually got to read some of the tangible copy of this article! Well, what a coincidence. I've always wondered about identical twins--the twins I know are different in their personality. But it makes sense, as this article explained, that the experiences and exposures of the two are different. For example, in the article it indicated about the sun damage of one twin's skin is more pronounced than that of the other twin, simply because that one twin had just been outside more. Thinking about it, even if the twins were side by side all life-long, there still would be differences due to environmental factors. It may be slight, but the slight differences in placement can cause somewhat a drastic effect on each twin's perspective of life. That is my theory... to the extreme. Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.