I read this article, and was so excited. I had forgotten about Timothy Brown's cure. It makes me skeptical though when they say,"functional cure." I hope that doesn't imply that something serious is being left out. I would be great if catching it early, before establishment, cured newborns of HIV. I couldn't believe the number of newborns born with it!
I remember hearing about this! I couldn't believe that they actually cured this little girl. I hope that they will be able to continue saving lives with these antiretroviral drugs.
Amazing! I had no idea that babies were even born with AIDS or HIV but according to Unicef, "Globally, it is estimated that more than 1,000 babies are born with HIV every day. Many will die by age two if they do not receive medication." (In 2009, an estimated 370,000 children contracted HIV during the perinatal and breastfeeding period; p.9, UNAIDS Global Report)
I read this article, and was so excited. I had forgotten about Timothy Brown's cure. It makes me skeptical though when they say,"functional cure." I hope that doesn't imply that something serious is being left out. I would be great if catching it early, before establishment, cured newborns of HIV. I couldn't believe the number of newborns born with it!
ReplyDeleteI remember hearing about this! I couldn't believe that they actually cured this little girl. I hope that they will be able to continue saving lives with these antiretroviral drugs.
ReplyDeleteAmazing! I had no idea that babies were even born with AIDS or HIV but according to Unicef, "Globally, it is estimated that more than 1,000 babies are born with HIV every day. Many will die by age two if they
ReplyDeletedo not receive medication." (In 2009, an estimated 370,000 children contracted HIV during the perinatal and
breastfeeding period; p.9, UNAIDS Global Report)
http://www.unicef.org/esaro/Stocktaking_Key_Facts.pdf