Tuesday, March 26, 2013

DASH Diet!

I think this article was very interesting due to the fact that millions of Americans suffer from Hypertension. This article places a strong emphasis on healthy eating as well as the reduction of ones daily salt intake. This article proves that the reduction of salt intake leads to a decrease in blood pressure.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM200101043440101#t=article

2 comments:

  1. I thought this was an interesting article as well. I thought it was interesting that they found that reducing your sodium intake below the recommended level would decrease your blood pressure even more. Yet, like the article said, it is very difficult to keep your sodium intake level low since sodium is in so many foods that we eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not buying this... It's not simply the sodium intake that's at play here. They changed the person's whole diet. Sodium is not the only thing that affects blood pressure; so do potassium, calcium, caloric intake, sex, age and race. The diet was beneficial because it is an improvement to the typical American diet, but the DASH diet is better than the typical American diet even at the same level of sodium intake.
    Also, The DASH diet may have lowered blood pressure, but what about the long term affects? The below article talks about a low salt intake being associated with higher mortality from cardiovascular events.

    http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-the-dangers-of-salt-restriction

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.