Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Leech Therapy

So, I know this is super weird, but I think that's why its interesting. This link gives just a run-down of how leeches are used. It is amazing what compounds leeches innately have that can theorhetically help to treat human illnesses. There is another article where a doctor was able to save an child's ear because of his treatment with leeches. Because the veins in the ear are so small, the doctor wasn't able to reattach the veins; in 1985, the doctor successfully reattached them using leeches. I tried to research some of the disadvantages of leeching, but surprisingly, there are not  alot of them. Besides the visual, leeches really do seem to be a medical marvel. Of course, some patients wouldn't be eligible for this type of treatment, but for every treatment, there are patients who aren't eligible.



http://www.leechestherapy.com/benefits_and_effects.php

1 comment:

  1. I thought this article was very interesting. I think it is amazing how leeches are still utilized in medicine today. There are many people who can benefit from leech therapy. I think this method of treatment should be more available especially to those who suffer from chronic pain, inflammation, hypertension, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.