I thought this article was very interesting. I am one of those people who likes to avoid taking medicine if at all possible, so I am all for any foods or other remedies that can be used to help treat or prevent conditions such as high blood pressure. This article talks about how drinking one cup of beetroot juice a day can lower blood pressure. Beetroot juice contains dietary nitrate which is converted to nitrite and then nitric oxide in the blood. Any of you who are taking or have taken physiology probably recognize nitric oxide as an important vasodilator. Thus, nitric oxide derived from beetroot juice widens blood vessels and aids blood flow. If beetroot juice does not look very appetizing, the article suggests that lettuce does the same thing, but it contains less nitrate meaning you would have to eat alot more to have the same effect.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130415172230.htm
I never knew the benefits of beets. I have actually never tried a beet, they do not look too appeasing. But I do agree that eating more fruits and vegetables are major components that can reduce many disorders. I have a lot of people in my family with high blood pressure and diabetes. So I love reading these types of articles so I can go back and spread the news!
ReplyDelete