I can remember hearing about CFS, but I had forgotten about it once the craze ended. I came across this article,which was published last year. This is first time I have seen an article disproving someone else's research.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443720204578002180958369660.html
This next link is to a website all about CFS. It gives a huge list of possible viruses that may cause CFS, since the cause is still unknown. XMRV is still listed as one of the possible viruses. It just goes to show that websites aren't always as up-to-date as we would hope!!
http://www.cfids.org/about-cfids/viruses.asp
I don’t believe I’ve ever read an article that disproved another study before either, so I looked up the original peer-reviewed article. The interesting thing is that the article actually starts by stating that the associations between the virus and CFS could not be confirmed in numerous subsequent studies, but that the CFS community did not want to accept the compounding evidence from the scientific community. This may be the reason viruses are still listed as causes of the disease on the CFS community website. It just goes to show that, while people are generally quick to jump on the bandwagon, they are reluctant to get back off.
ReplyDeletehttp://mbio.asm.org/content/3/5/e00266-12.full.pdf+html