Sunday, April 14, 2013

"Supreme Court Set to Hear Arguments on Whether Human Genes Can Be Patented"

Dr. E. mentioned this briefly in class. Can the human genome be patented? In the case, Association for Molecular Pathplogy v. Myriad Genetics, physicians claim that patents on certain genes hinder access to medical tests, while Myriad Genetics claims it needs the patents to protect its research. This author believes that the results of the case could "threaten the future of personalized medicine." It's a very thought provoking article. 


http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=supreme-court-set-to-hear-arguments-on-whether-human-genes-can-be-patented

2 comments:

  1. I was just about to post this exact article too! So interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm.. I see both sides of the argument, and honestly, I am not sure which side I am rooting for. I hate to be the person riding on the fence, but I am on this one. They had a good point on the patent of the X-ray machine- it put it into a better perspective for me. However, I also understand the want to protect one's research......

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.