New research suggests that "nanosponges" could neutralize toxins from anthrax, suberbugs, snake venom, etc. These nanoparticles, disguised as red blood cells, attract toxins and bind a structure the poisons normally use to perforate cells. The body can then destroy the foreign substance while the toxic portion is bound to the sponge. In a mouse study, all mice that were injected with a lethal dose of MRSA, and did not receive nanosponge treatment, died. Of the mice that received MRSA and the nanosponges, only one died.
According to the article, this research suggests that nanosponges could be used as a "universal treatment option" because many bacteria utilize the same mechanisms to perforate cells. The authors plan to follow up their experiments with tests on human blood.
How very awesome!! I am not very familiar with nanotechnology, so I only know the basics. This gives a whole new appreciation for it. I can't believe it worked! I am interested in the follow-up research regarding this.
ReplyDelete