A collection of musings on topics ranging from science to music to philosophy
Sunday, April 21, 2013
"From Baghdad to Boston: War Lessons on Amputations Help Blast Victims Walk Again"
As I was reflecting on these recent tragic events, I couldn't help but wonder what the future held for the Boston victims. Most victims sustained lower leg injuries, and many required amputations. This article is packed with optimistic projections for the blast victims. Boston hospitals treated the patients using modern protocols that were developed in association with treatment for IED injuries from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. As a result of the wars, new protocols have been developed concerning initial trauma treatment, initial recovery after amputations, and prosthetic use.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This article is very interesting. It amazes me that prosthetics have been developed that allow a person to walk again who has had both legs amputated above the knee.
ReplyDeleteI agree! The modern protocols for amputation victims have come a long way. Most people that I have seen prior to this advancement have been subjected to wheelchairs or crutches. I am glad that these victims will still be able to walk.
ReplyDelete