I thought this was kind of interesting because I love dentistry. It is really cool how it goes with the discussion we were having tonight about stem cells. I don't know how many of you know this, but when you lose a tooth your body starts breaking down the bone around it. It is like when you have no more use for one of your limbs; your body starts breaking down the bone. Bone loss in oral care is a very big problem. I work in a dental office, and we see patients that have missing teeth all the time who have bone loss. Once that bone is gone you can't do anything to get it back. If you decide to get an implant later on and you don't have enough bone they have to harvest bone first. It is a very long, painful, and expensive process that takes about eight to nine months if you decide to get an implant and don't have enough bone. I hope they make more advancement in this procedure because it will be very useful.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130402090826.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fhealth_medicine%2Fdentistry+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Health+%26+Medicine+News+--+Dentistry%29
I really enjoyed reading this article. It is always interesting to see new technology used in oral care. Not only does this procedure speed the process up of regenerating the bone, it produces a better quality of that bone. Glad you posted this!
ReplyDeleteI agree that this is a very interesting article. My brother is a dentist, and I hear him talking alot about how difficult it is to do implants when there is not much bone left. I will have to tell him about this article!
ReplyDelete