Friday, April 12, 2013

Rosmarinic Acid and Allergies: A Miracle Herb?

So, it is allergy season, and I know many of you may have bad seasonal allergies.  I know this is kind of an older article, but I still find it interesting.  Not many people know that their are natural ways to help with allergies.  I have suffered from allergies my whole life, especially food allergies.  Recently I found out I was allergic to a lot of the common foods like wheat, milk, eggs, soy, etc.  Both my mom and I have a genetic disorder that causes us to be allergic to pretty much everything under the sun.  I have been on allergy shots since I was 11, 11 years.  There isn't much doctors can do for food allergies except for tell you to stay away from them.  That is really hard to do when all you can eat is rice.  When I got retested this last time for my food allergies I was having a hard time concentrating on my school work, my throat and mouth were swollen, and I was very fatigued.  I have been on every allergy medicine under the sun, but they all made me sleepy and didn't work.  My allergist, a very smart man, told me about this study that they were doing in Japan on Rosmarinic Acid and shellfish allergies.  It had been proven that Rosmarinic Acid helps with environmental allergies, but they wanted to study food allergies.  I am not a big believer as far as natural cures go, but I decided I would give the treatment a shot.  I was on the pill for about two weeks and realized that I could concentrate again.  Before I would study for a test, and I couldn't retain anything!  When I take this pill I can concentrate, my eyes aren't dry, my throat doesn't hurt, and I don't have to take my shots as often.  I know a lot of you plan on being doctors so this article might be interesting to you.  It is a cheaper, healthier, and better way for patients with allergies to feel like themselves again.


http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2004/nov2004_report_allergy_01.htm

7 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting article. I had never heard of Rosmarinic acid being used to help with allergies before. If it works so well, I wonder why it is not used more often. I do not have any known allergies, but I think if I did, I would much rather take a pill than have to get shots all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How ironic... I went to my mom's today and she has 3 cats. I just so happen to be HIGHLY allergic to cats so I am sniffing and sneezing as I'm reading this! I will definitely be finding some rosmarinic acid tomorrow. I'm assuming it's not used more often because too many people rely on pills and shots, they don't research and look at holistic approaches to healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason it isn't used very often is because there hasn't been a whole lot of research done on it in the US. My allergest decided to try it out on me before he started trying it out on his other patients. I guess you could say I was the test monkey. It really does work, and it is alot cheaper than allergy shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilary, I am so glad it is working for you, I couldn't imagine being allergic to so many things. It's astounding at how many people suffer from allergies!!!

    Can you find this herb anywhere or must you get it from a doctor?

    -Aliana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get it online. I get mine from Ebay or Amazon.

      Delete
  5. I am definitely going to have to present this to my Doctor as an alternative. I suffer from both seasonal and food allergies. I have also been on allergy shots since I was like 7 or 8 and carry around an EpiPen which can sometimes be a hassle. If I could potentially take this every morning to help with those symptoms that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should really try it. I pay about $20-$30 for my pills and there are 60 in a bottle if you get the brand I do. It is a lot better than paying $400 for viles of allergy shot med. every six months. You can get it on Ebay or Amazon.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.